- The Horse Owner’s Guide to Natural Hoof Care (revised edition, 2002) aka, The H.O.G. A must-own for those wanting to trim their horses. I don’t follow it verbatim but as a resource I love it.
- Paddock Paradise A must-own for the horse person who either owns a farm or who can influence the design of the farm where there horse lives. This is truly “the way to go” for your natural horse. Google for more resources.
- Founder, Prevention and Cure the Natural Way Lots of good info. Not expensive. Check out Dr. Kellon in links for real help on diet though. Founder is all about diet.
- The Natural Horse I really enjoyed following his adventure from Farrier to Barefoot.
By Pete Ramey:
- Making Natural Hoof Care Work for You Great Introduction and many brief easy to follow case studies. Absolutely get the article which updates his book as he no longer, routinely trims the sole, in particular the sole ridge. While you are at it, print and put in a notebook all his articles. What a treasure trove of information! And it’s Free.
- Under the Horse, 10 DVD series. $250 and worth every cent! This is in many ways better than a clinic because you can watch it as I have, 100′s of times.
- That’s My Horse series is interesting to the pro trimmer or if you have the type of horse he is working on. You can watch as he rehabs the horse over time. It is not a How-To.
- In the Trenches came out in the fall of 2010. He works through really tough cases and introduces LOF Disease, Lack of Farrier Disease. More for Pro trimmer or educational group.
By James R. Rooney, DVM The Lame Horse This is a classic resource for all horse people by the vet who explained to a deaf world the truth on “navicular” and how to fix it. RIP 2009.
By Dr. Deb Bennett, her 3 volume series Principles of Conformation Analysis is a great jumping off point towards understand what we can do to create horses who can carry us easily. She has a site too.